Did you know that on the third Monday of every month (except August and December), there is an Open Meeting at the Bowls Club in Abbey Lane where interesting and entertaining talks are given by experts in their field? The meetings are scheduled for a 2.30pm start but doors open at 2:15 pm and refreshments are served at 2.30pm with the talk starting at about 2.45 pm. The poster below shows you the next 3 talks – hope to see you there. See our ‘What’s On’ page for future meetings.
Author Archive | Martin Hugall
We need lots of new members to join the Music Group. Some people may think that it’s only classical music that we play but they would be wrong, in fact we play all different kinds of music to suit every possible taste – except classical. So if you’re a Classic FM listener then this is not for you. We have show tunes, folk music, country music, 50s and 60s – in fact any music is acceptable. So if this sounds as though it’s your kind of thing, please contact me on 01799 502 219.
Joy Smith, co-ordinator
Our tutor/co-ordinator for the Italian group is retiring at the end of this term and we desperately need someone to take this on please if this group if to continue. If you are able to help or know someone who might be able to help please contact Ann Cousins 01799 219 072 – firstname.lastname@example.org
U3A Saffron Harmony Choir
Music for a Summer Night
At The Baptist Church, Saffron Walden
Saturday 14 July
Doors open 7pm for 7-30 start.
Tickets £8,under 16’s £4.
Includes a Glass of Wine or a Soft Drink
All profit to go to Local Charities.
Tickets available soon from U3A meetings, any Choir member
and Tourist Information Office
REGISTRATION and AGM – Monday 3rd September 2018 at the Baptist Church. Saffron Walden.
Doors open for Registration at 1.00pm and the AGM starts at 2.30pm. Refreshments available.
Click here to see a list of responsibilities of the various committee members.
Membership renewal forms will be posted to all members in August and will also be available at Registration before the AGM and can be downloaded below.
Click here to print an application form and click here to download a gift aid form. ( If you are a tax payer we can claim back 25p for each £1 of your subscription from HMRC so it is a great help to us if members are able to complete the gift aid form – thanks).
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- Chairman’s welcome
- Apologies for absence
- Minutes of the previous AGM (Draft Minutes of AGM 4th September 2017)
- Chairman’s report for the year ended 31 July 2018
- Treasurer’s report for the year ended 31 July 2018 and Adoption of Accounts (draft Accounts will be posted here late August and only a very limited number of hard copies will be available on day)
- Appointment of the Independent Examiner of Accounts
- Amendment to replace the first paragraph of item 3, Charitable Purposes, in our Constitution with: “The advancement of education and, in particular, the education of older people and those who are retired from full time work by all means, including associated activities conducive to learning and personal development.” (Click here to see a copy of our present constitution)
- Election of the Committee for 2018-2019
- Under the terms of the Constitution, all the members of the Executive Committee, including those serving as Officers, will retire at the Annual General Meeting.
- Non-officer members of the Executive Committee have a one-year term of office and may serve not more than three terms.
- Officers other than the Treasurer have a one-year term of office and may serve not more than three terms in a particular Officer role.
- Any other Business
Only current members are entitled to attend, vote and speak at the Meeting.
Janet Pearson, Secretary
Minutes of previous AGMs and Accounts for previous years can be found on our Publications page.
The U3A is meant to be a self help group where members offer to run activities. It is gratifying to see that a number of members are willing to run new groups providing there is sufficient interest.
If you are interested in joining any of these proposed new groups do let Ann Cousins know – 01799 219 072 – email@example.com
Our Constitution states that we can have up to twelve Committee Members/Trustees but we currently have nine which means that several of us have to take on more responsibilities. At the AGM there will also be additional vacancies
We are looking to fill these to ease the load.
Requirements are, computer familiarity, common sense, numeracy, interest in SW U3A and our members, which number over 850, willingness to attend monthly meetings and serve on working parties/sub committees as and when required.
If you are interested in joining us or would like to find out more, please either contact Alan Nicholls 01799 522260 – email firstname.lastname@example.org or Janet Pearson 01799 540065 – email email@example.com or speak to any of the Committee.
Discounted tickets are available to U3A members, subject to a minimum number of tickets purchased (6-15 depending on production). Amongst others, included at present, are David Hare’s play “the Moderate Soprano”, Kneehigh Theatre Company’s brilliant production of Noel Coward’s “Brief Encounter” and, staged at County Hall, Agatha Christie’s “Witness for the Prosecution”.
For further information, please telephone Wendy Smith 01799 510 852.
PLEASE NOTE….THIS OFFER IS TICKET ONLY. NO TRANSPORT PROVIDED.
“We are currently encouraging people of age 70, 71,72, 73, 74, 78 and 79 years to get their free shingles vaccination from their GP surgery. Shingles can be a painful illness, especially in those who are older or have a weakened immune system.”
Screening and Immunisation Coordinator, Public Health England/NHS England, Midlands and East (East)
The Ukulele group busked in King Street on Saturday 9th December, and collected for Support4Sight. It was freezing cold and it’s hard to play with frozen fingers, but we added to the general happy Christmas spirit in the town. Mary Curtis